View Single Post
Old 22-05-2015, 11:08 PM
jase (Jason)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwbenson View Post
In fact I think he acknowledges that multi-star guiding may do just as well as tip-tilt AO for large chips, since only the low-frequency disturbances are correlated over many arc-minutes. Multi-star guiding averages out the high-frequency wander and you're left with corrections based on slow moving waves. In fact demonstrations that multi-star guiding works better than regular guiding is also the evidence that AO won't do much, if anything, for large CCDs.
Eric, I have used multi star guide with MaximDL using John Winfield's plugin. Now MaximDL 6 supports it natively. I know your an ACP user (as am I), do you know if ACP works fine when multi-guide star is enabled in MaximDL? I'm still running MaximDL5 but have the license to upgrade to 6, just haven't had the interest.

I have reservations about multi star guiding at long focal lengths however... It would work and work well but your OAG pick off and guider need to be a fair size. As you've no doubt experienced with your long focal length set up, sometimes you're lucky to get two stars on the chip, but often its only one.