View Single Post
Old 23-05-2020, 08:17 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Just to clarify...

Heya team,

Had some trouble tonight setting up the synscan usb adapter, and posted here wondering if it was actually even capable of being used with EQMOD at all. I was getting errors in EQMOD telling me that the mount couldnt connect to a port, after having downloaded a bunch of different skywatcher synscan drivers.

I really, REALLY didnt want to have another bit of plastic and metal sitting around that was unsuitable for the job, so kept digging and got it to "work". I'm in my shed, its raining, so when i say "work" i mean i can control the mount with APT, slew to wherever I like (and its pointing to about the right spot), switch filter wheels and see the difference in liveview, and also see through my guide camera in PHD2. So I have a glimmer of hope that things will be ok when I get out under the stars.

Here is what helped:
There are a bunch of synscan drivers on the skywatcher page, I grabbed both the ascom versions and it didn't get the job done. I then grabbed the windows driver: "prolific usb-to-serial device driver" on this page https://skywatcher.com/download/software/accessories/ (note that is the accessories driver page, not the ascom specific page).
The other thing that was crucial (and I'm sure most people will already have dialled in) is that the port # can be a pain with windows, but once i mapped it correctly and connected the usb dongle directly to the pc (not via a hub as I had done previously) it was firing on all cylinders.

So in the end, I'm happy that the USB adapter isn't a total waste. I think its probably a step behind the shoestring solutions in terms of exposure to the elements, but its about a $60 saving (maybe $50 once you also get a long usb cable) and i was very glad to not have to abandon it.

I note this here in the hope that someday it can help someone who is wandering around the internet sometime faced with the same issue.

JP

Last edited by jahnpahwa; 23-05-2020 at 10:09 PM. Reason: got it happening!