View Single Post
Old 23-05-2020, 09:49 AM
gaseous (Patrick)

I caught the following PN's from Glen's list when I was at Warwick in March. First time I'd seen Cleopatra's Eye (NGC 1535) - absolutely amazing under dark skies with decent aperture. You'll have to forgive my rudimentary and "low-tech" descriptions.

NGC 2867 – Mag +9.69 Planetary nebula in Carina. Quite a decent size, very bright blue-grey disk, visible without a filter. No central star visible.

NGC 1535 – Cleopatra’s Eye Mag +9.39 Planetary Nebula in Eridanus. Very bright and quite large, no filter required to view. Central star was visible, plus an outer circular shell with an additional diffuse outer nebulous halo. One of the evening’s highlights.

NGC 2392 – Eskimo Nebula Mag +9.19 Planetary Nebula in Gemini. Very bright and better viewed with no filter to better reveal the central white dwarf. There were easily visible concentric rings of nebulosity of varying densities – a very impressive PN.

NGC 2371 – Mag +11.19 Planetary Nebula in Gemini. Small but reasonably easily visible, it seems to have two lobes, separated by a darker gap.

NGC 2899 – Mag +12.19 Planetary Nebula in Vela – Diffuse but reasonable large thin grey oval cloud, shows up well with OIII.

NGC 2022 – Mag +11.69 Planetary Nebula in Orion – Small smoky disk, easily seen.

NGC 3195 – Mag +11.50 Planetary Nebula in Chamealeon – Small bright grey ball, slightly mottled appearance.