View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 07:23 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Baz, I bought my 5DII and several of my lenses from Digi-Direct, an on line dealer in Australia.

You can ring and talk to a real person at Digi-Direct, their prices are very competetive when you consider that they offer Genuine Canon Australia product, with Canon Australia warranty, not imported product with overseas warranty. You can also pick up from their Sydney outlet, if you need freight, Digi-Direct are a flat $15 for orders over $200.

As Alex mentioned, you'll pay an arm & leg for a decent wide angle lens for full frame, the 14mm F2.8 rectilinear is one of the best and also one of the most expensive, I opted for the 15mm f2.8 fisheye (full frame not circular) because I like the exaggerated perspective it gives, it's a razor sharp lens at roughly one third the cost of the 14mm rectilinear and the FOV is much greater than the 14mm. Images can still be de-fished using software. Here's a link that will give some comparison.

Regarding Macro, I bought the 100mm F2.8 Canon Macro, If I were buying again I would go with the 90mm Tamron, optically as good as the Canon, I didn't really do my homework properly, not realising that the Tamron can be had for a little over half the cost of the Canon item.
If you have cash to burn then the 100mm F2.8L IS macro from Canon is worth a look.

If you're after a general purpose zoom, the 24-105 F4L IS is a nice lens, it also has limited macro capability, enough to get started with at least. 24mm is quite wide on a FF body, the FOV is equivalent to 15mm on a crop body.

There is also some talk of a new 24-70 F2.8L IS lens, if that one's coming it would be worth holding off, particularly as the new Canon IS technology introduced on the 100mmf2.8L IS macro is supposed to be superior to the existing technology.

While I was typing this a couple of posts popped up, FWIW Digi-Direct's price for a 5DII Genuine Aus stock & warranty is $3793, little more than $100 dearer than the grey import.