View Single Post
Old 26-06-2010, 02:23 PM
adman (Adam)
Seriously Amateur

OK - I have been doing some more testing, and have worked out most of this behaviour.

As I said above, once you click the start button on the screen to begin the plan, the normal behaviour for my 10D is that the status indicator to show BUSY, and for nothing else to happen until I manually shut down the software. I have discovered that the workaround for this is to manually 'activate' the camera by doing one of the following things:

- spin the wheel for either shutter speed (wheel on top of camera) or aperture (wheel on back of camera) 1 click
- press any of the following buttons (see camera images attached) TWICE: DRIVE-ISO, AF-WB, Metering method, Menu, Play Images, AF Point selection
- the following buttons DO NOT WORK: shutter button (half or full press), Info, Jump, *, Button with movement arrows.

Once the plan has been activated manually as above, the plan will proceed without any issues.

Some additional behaviours I have found:

1. if the Stop button is pressed mid-plan, then it seems to disconnect the DSUSB. When Start is pressed to begin the plan again, it first says Connecting to DSUSB, then the plan proceeds normally after that, without the need to manually activate.
2. If the plan completes ok, you will be able to start it again without the above workaround as long as the plan is not edited - see below.
3. If you edit the plan and change either the ISO or the Quality setting, you will have to do the manual activation again. Editing any of the other plan parameters has no effect.
4. You can switch to another plan without any problem as long as the ISO/Quality are the same.
5. You cannot change ISO/Quality settings within a plan (ie from one line of the plan to the next) - if you do, you will have to use one of the manual activation methods above.

Hope that helps anyone with the same issues. It looks like I can now use this tool, albeit with some workarounds.

Yoddha - it seems to me that if you could find the right command to send to the DIGIC I cameras after the start button is pressed, it would remove the need to press a button on the camera manually??

Adam
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon-10D-Top.jpg)
36.8 KB74 views
Click for full-size image (Canon-10D-Back.jpg)
38.8 KB84 views

Last edited by adman; 26-06-2010 at 02:37 PM.