View Single Post
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM
mynameiscd (Andy)

What an achievement these guys have done esp all the team who did all the prep work. Just to get 1 diver through there is staging tanks, guide lines that need to be in place. Also the emptys need to been removed and it looked like some places they used oxygen rebreathers and these are pretty precise intrumenfs to keep calibrated especially in the dark.
About 25 years ago I went along for a dive on the "Lake Illawara" which brought down a section of the Hobart bridge in the Derwent.
It sits in about 120 feet of freezing cold water with a strong current and about 2m viability. I went with professional salvage divers who have been for at least 50 dives on this ship.
To be brief I went inside and was lost in zero viability for about a minute with walls and ceiling around me and clouds of bilowing silt what ever way I went.
Next a hand on my shoulder and a guide out (about 20-30 feet).
I can imagine what these kids must have been through and how cool and methodical the divers are to work in these conditions.
I had a minute of panic and its still etched in my head 25 years later so these kids will have some permanent mental scars.
Condolences to the diver who didn't make it out alive.
Cheers
Andy