View Single Post
Old 27-10-2020, 07:38 AM
porthacking (Scott)

Hi Martin,

I am very new to all of this but have successfully been able to get through most of the things on the list. For those few I simply haven't done yet, I am quite sure I'll be OK. I'm just trying to get everything talking to each other and properly installed (in the comfort of my office) before I lug it all downstairs to the relative discomfort of my garage so I can start schlepping up the steeper part of learning curve.

As for the mount and hand-controller, yes you are correct: the mount has an RJ45 for the hand controller and an RJ12 for auto-guiding; the hand-controller has an RJ45, an RJ12, and USB2B. I only purchased the mount a few weeks ago and was told that I had one of the newer HEQ5s that has the 'dual' mounting plate that the equivalent Skywatcher has, but that the HEQ didn't have until 'recently' (not sure what definition of recent was being used).

What you've suggested with Stellarium is what I had in mind.

Thank you very much for your post in the beginners equipment section. This is the first decent information I have been able to find on the difference.

Thanks,

Scott