View Single Post
Old 24-10-2020, 05:18 PM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

Glen, the human optical workflow (retina through to brain) seems to include a persistence function.

What I mean by this is that if you look at an object at high magnification, variations in the seeing will show you glimpses of details that, on average, you can’t see all the time. This is the premise for lucky imaging of course.

In my experience, once you get a glimpse of something, it becomes easier to see it again. This requires patience and careful study of an object, and it’s best to be nice and comfortable at the eyepiece.

I do - occasionally - stick an eyepiece in my Edge11 (at 2800mm FL), although I only look at planets and the Moon at high magnification. The experience is always satisfying, and it is easy to notice when the seeing isn’t up to much, or even when it is. It serves to remind me what I’m missing with the camera shoved up the tube

My strategy with seeing is this...if it looks a bit turbulent with one eyepiece, dial it down a bit...meaning, go for a longer FL eyepiece. There’s always something to see!