View Single Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:37 AM
legoman_iac (Daniel)

Hey Tim,

Firstly, nice work on your scope's SWeaT Box (though can probably rename it now to SWeeT Box now)!!!

Secondly, bahaha ... I haven't even started planning my procastination yet! I've actually been going in circles with this and the concept.

We actually have an L-Shape balcony, which has 3m running North-South, then at the northern end, runs 3m East-West. I had written off the N-S part as that is prime real estate, infront of the study which catches lots of arvo sun, faces the street, and I foolishly thought 'I want as much East-West' view as possible, etc.

Also, embarassingly, my approximation of the view/Field of View was a little off ... the space I was looking at using for the scope is actually blocked by the house on the Southern side, so I'll only get about 10 degrees South past Zenith, unless I jack up my scope to pivot at my eye level, haha.

I had intended a permanent type setup, in the part that is 3m 'East to West', however my genius wife said "wouldn't it be better round the corner?". This would allow great views from North to South, about 15-20 degress off the horizon however there is a slight overhang of the roof which means I cannot see much East past Zenith.

So last night I had an epiphany ... instead of the permanent location, why not maximise on my HEQ5 mount and use any part of the L-shape I like pending on the seasons/projects?? So it'll be a roaming / nomadic observatory!!!

I realise the whole point is to have a permament setup, and over time to perfect the polar alignment ... however, if I use Daine042's roll off box idea, but much more compact so it only houses the mount, then I have greater coverage of the sky ... does this sound crazy?

If moving annually proves too counter-productive, there's always the possibility of getting a second mount

Keen to hear thoughts, concerns, etc ... or if anyone else has used this approach?

- Daniel S

P.S Will sketch up the rough balcony plans and box design to make it clearer if the above ramblings are too vague