View Single Post
Old 24-01-2010, 03:38 PM
pgc hunter

Great report mate. You can see Centaurus A in a finder....I'm jealous of your skies (but not your temps or cloudcover) Did you see the two "owl eyes" in Omega Cen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngcles View Post
Hi Malcolm, Orestis & All,

Like most PNe, it just gets better and better the larger the aperture. As time goes on, I'm discovering that nights with very good or better seeing are best spent on compact high surface-brightness PNe. They really respond amazingly to high and very high magnifications. NGC 2392 (Eskimo Nebula) is one of the very best in the sky! Look forward to it and NGC 2440, NGC 2818, NGC 2022, IC 418, NGC 3132 ... and the rest every summer.

Best,

Les D
Totally agree with this. I unleash all the magnification under my belt on these HSB planetaries when conditions permit. Recently I had NGC 3918 at 707x and could see details which appear in HST images. Also had NGC 3242 at 566x with a perfect inner ring (eye) and a pinpoint central star!

I always found NGC 2440 to have a somewhat creepy, unsettling appearance. At high power it looks like an alien face or skull with two glowing beady eyes staring back at ya