View Single Post
Old 14-05-2016, 01:47 PM
neilcreek (Australia)

Thanks for the replies! I made a huge mistake in the original post, and I feel like an idot! My telescope is an f4 not an f8. Not sure why I typed that. So my focal length is 800mm.

Even so, from the sounds of your replies, it seems like what I'm seeing is typical of periodic error. And come to think of it, the big movement would have occurred around the time my subject passed the meridian. I probably saw the scope flopping about from one side of the gear slack to the other as gravity took hold of it.

I bought the scope second hand as part of a complete lot from an astrophotographer, and it came with an Orion auto guider camera and mini scope, so that's what I'll be using to guide with. I haven't been guiding yet because I wanted to learn one thing at a time, and start guiding when I reached the limit of what I can do with my skills and equipment. Looks like I've arrived! I'm reluctant to take that leap because of the learning curve and all the extra gear I'll need to take with me, but I do want those round stars!

Do you have any additional advice in light of this new information?

Thank you again for your helpful replies!