View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 08:44 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Samyang 14mm f/2.8 or Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8?

Hi Folks

I'm after some advice from those of you who have already trod the path of nightscape, star trails and timelapse photography that I'm about to take with one of these lenses.

First up though some background information.

I currently have two camera bodies, a Canon 60Da and a Canon 400D. The 60Da spends most of its time attached to my SW120ED, but I have also used it (briefly!) to have a go at grabbing some milky way shots.

My AP priorities at the moment are:

1. A decent wide angle lens that can be used on either of these camera bodies. (Long term I may be able to purchase a modded full frame sensor camera)

2. Construct a plinth for a pier I had built earlier in the year.

3. An observatory so that I have a permanent home for my scope.
(It would be nice not to have to use valuable imaging/observing time for setting up and packing up!)

4. Use my current set up and camera (60Da) to try photometry of δ-scuti and cepheid variable stars.

5. Look at getting a decent mono ccd camera with filterwheel and filters (LRGB and NB)

6. Purchase a full frame modded DSLR for portable use.

Priorities 2 and 3 may take 12 - 24 months to fulfil, at which time I'll rethink and maybe reconsider priorities 5 and 6.

To maximise the return on my investment I'd also like to use the widefield lens for daytime landscape photography - mainly streams and waterfalls at slow shutter speeds. In this respect one downside of the Samyang is the inability to use filters (UV, polarizing and ND).

I've read a few online reviews and have received some advice already via PM (thanks Greg!) and am now ready to choose between these two lenses after eliminating the Samyang 24mm f/1.4 for use on my current cameras.

Thank you all in advance for sharing your experiences and offering your advice.

Paul