View Single Post
Old 31-10-2014, 09:11 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericwbenson View Post
Not so completely daft at all ... earlier this week I tried to melt the offending pixel with a 4W 532nm CW DPSS focused down to 50 micron. I thought if I could melt/singe the ITO electrode gates into an open circuit I might only lose the top 666 rows (yes the bad pixel is at 3066,666). Amazingly after several 5 min exposures, no change!?! The damaged area is buried in the multi-column saturated region. I can see the irradiated spot in the microscope where I presume the top layers have been melted, or something, but this does not seem to affect the operation of the chip.

Next week I might try a 4 ns pulsed laser, if I can get my hands on one. The ones we make at 532 nm only focus down to about 400 um, pretty big blast hole. We do make a 1064nm YAG that focuses down to 10 um but I know the Silicon doesn't absorb much at that wavelength, so I'm not sure what will happen there.

Very much a long shot...

EB
crikey, 4w through a 50 micron spot for 5 minutes - would have thought that would fry anything. Amazing that it had no effect on the chip function. Maybe very short pulses could do the trick by vapourising the surface layers through local plasma formation and letting you selectively remove stuff completely - would have thought that a Q-YAG would be OK for that (eg as in LIBS). Be very interested to know how you get on - good luck.

Last edited by Shiraz; 01-11-2014 at 06:53 PM.