View Single Post
Old 24-11-2013, 07:44 AM
pmrid (Peter)
Ageing badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulosity. View Post
G'day everyone,

I'm building an 8 inch F6 newt setup for a guy in Brisbane and he would like to do imaging with it, so my question is, what would be a good camera?
He has never done it before so there would be a bit of a learning curve.

My requirements are:

Suit an 8 inch F6 newt (1200m FL)

Be beginner friendly,

Take good images,

cost around the $1500 mark, (or more if you think so)

work on a Mac,

any else I can't think of.

So what do you reckon? I was thinking of something like a QHY8? or would it be better to go with a Mono camera?

I don't think I'll worry about DSLR's.

Thanks for any advice,
Jo
Jo, don't write off DSLRs too fast. They make an economical way to introduce a newbie to imaging in general and processing in particular. We who have been doing this for a while all know that there is as much art in the latter as the former and it does take a fair bit of patient learning. Also, it must be stressed, no DSLR or CCD is going to overcome inadequate guiding. So the beginner must confront the need to buy and use a dedicated guide scope and camera - at extra expense in dollars and learning curve. With a DSLR as an introductory camera, the newbie can afford a QHY5 and an OAG as well as a decent Canon or Nikon as well and for less than the cost of a dedicated CCD. This may sound a bit patronising but with a QHY8/9/10 or some other dedicated CCD, the novice can't use it to take happy snaps of the cat after a night of imaging stars.

Peter