View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 03:59 PM
Jasp05 (Aaron)

Declination is where the biggest adjustments are made on my mount Ken.

And if I've drift aligned for 5 min at 400mm FL that should be reasonably close to decent PA?

Or should I drift align for 10min +? I only do 60sec to 3 min subs generally so figured 5 min drift should be fine for my purposes? (shorter alignment time also).

I know the Dec axis was binding in a spot or 2 whilst being used with the hand controller at high speed. But haven't seen any issues since I've started guiding. (No I haven't tinkered with the drive gears yet, as its a new mount and kind of wanted to get a base line for tracking accuracy before I go tinkering. )

I'm considering building a pier to mount it on at home and save myself the dramas of all these finicky problems that arise with each setup and tear down. But then I deprive myself of the nights out at a dark site with the mount.

Should I do a full run over the entire worm drive to let the PEC be able to do some work and alleviate some issues?

I know last night, my guiding was terrible for some unknown reason for the first hour or 2. Then I changed to a smaller FL lens and my guiding suddenly was under 1" arcsec +/- in RA while dec was still dancing around.
(I don't think it had anything to do with the smaller lens as there was very little breeze/ weather effects to bother the setup. )

So I assumed it must of been a bad part of the drive cycle that I was in and suddenly came across a nice spot. thoughts?