View Single Post
Old 29-07-2014, 06:17 PM
Garbz (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningNZ View Post
One thing to remember is that Olympus cameras are mostly 3/4" format so the lenses don't have to be optimised for as wide a linear field as the APS-c or full-frame lenses. Not that know what size chip is in your girlfriend's camera of course...
-Cam
That is most certainly true but it ignores a long history of quality from Olympus. The current crop of lenses are excellent but looking back check out beasts like the Zuiko Auto-T 250mm f/2.0, a truly phenomenal lens. Unfortunately back then they weren't very price competitive and this lens still fetches $3k+ second hand despite not working properly with any current Olympus system.

But it's not just the lens quality, it's the thought that goes into it as well. My Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8 has just a smidge under 270deg of rotation on the focuser to go from inf to 1:1 which makes focusing anything but impossible for macro objects. Same with my 200mm f/2.8 which I had on my scope a few nights ago PAINFULLY trying to turn the focus ring about a degree to move the glass ever so slightly into focus.

Olympus basically invented focus-by-wire. Nikon, Canon etc have adopted it for all their micro cameras. The Olympus 60mm f/2.8 macro has just over 1000 degrees of rotation on the focuser and because it's focus by wire there's no stiction to deal with.

Anyway I think I've made my point. I'm a Nikon man through and through, but liking a Nikon lens is in my opinion not a very good reason not to switch to Olympus. Having access to good Nikon lenses already is, after all money talks