View Single Post
Old 18-10-2020, 02:44 PM
peter_4059 (Peter)
Big Scopes are Cool

Unattended all night imaging

Had my first successful all night unattended session with Voyager last night. Due to my very limited horizons I have created a script that waits for the object to clear the eastern tree line then stays on the object until is is within 40 mins of the meridian (where more trees in the property next door block the entire west view). Then it slews back to the east and waits for the next target. From twilight to dawn I managed to capture 5 objects and ~ 120 LRGB subs in total.

The script manages equipment connection and camera cool down and warm up with timing determined by Astronomical twilight. Focusing, platesolving and guiding also taken care of throughout the night. I've also got my Arduino weather station providing cloud, wind, rain and light inputs that suspend things if a threshold is crossed.

Not having to supervise the automation software and ability for it to recover from lost guide stars is a major breakthrough for me. Hopefully I can get a lot more imaging time (and more sleep) during the week with this approach.