View Single Post
Old 13-05-2016, 05:52 PM
glend (Glen)

The beta testers on CN report that it has set point cooling, however, remember it requires a 12v power supply with adequate amperage to get there. The power supply i believe is not supplied with the camera. This is not an issue as i have a couple of very good 6amp supplies that i use with my cooled DSLRs. Of course the TEC will only draw what it can handle so i know the supplies i have are adequate. In a dark site situation, on battery power, you probably need at least a 40AH battery for a nights imaging run, that ensures not discharging to low.

Now what exactly is their definition of set point cooling; is it set point against ambient or set point on the slider bar. My cooled dslrs are set point against ambient to a delta t of -30. I suspect the ASI1600s are setpoint against the slider bar position because i don't think the camera measures ambient. The result is a bit of mental gymnastics to work out the slider bar set point relationship with ambient results. I suspect that i will put in some form of ambient measurement near the camera to track ambient and i may use my dslr setpoint pwm switch to throttle the power to the TEC to get it to my externally measured ambient baselined setpoint. This is pretty easy to set up, well because i have the gear already, but some people may assume they are running at -25C when in effect the sensor is actually at 0C on a 25C night. Not necessarily a bad thing as long as you can cool to the sensors 'sweet spot', where bias frames equal long darks, which in the Canon 450D is 0C. Going deep below that is not necessary, so having temperature info is important.

Last edited by glend; 13-05-2016 at 06:15 PM.