View Single Post
Old 08-08-2019, 04:12 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Welcome Steve.
Polar alignment is easy just point the polar axis of your scope er mount directly at the CSP and you are there

If you are doing visual point up at an angle that is the same as your latitude and point South according to a compass taking into account the magnetic deviation.

If you want a challenge look up drift aligning...it will get you thinking..but it is really simple..just imagine you are pointing a builder's square at the pole and what the
stars will do in relation to where the other end of the square points if you are not pointing the other end at the pole..in fact try it with one in your hand as that helps build your intuition on these things.. .anyways I mainly wanted to welcome you as I can't really help much as to the best way to find the CSP..I use a DSLR camera mounted to point in the same place as the polar axis and take long exposures so you can see where in the sky they all rotate around..you could use a DSLR on a tripod to get an idea where it is...I adjust the mount to get the centre of the star circles in the centre of my picture...but look on YouTube if there is nothing there let me know and I will make one but as with most things there you be spoilt for choice.
And best you know a bit about it before talking to most folk as in an effort to explain how simple it is things come out sounding very complex..it's not. Good luck and let us know how you go and the method you find the most useful..as there are no doubt others with a similar question on their mind so your shared experience is bound to help many people.
Good luck.
Alex