View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:47 PM
SkyViking (Rolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroron View Post
Wow Rolf, that is the first amateur image of 1987A I have ever seen, that is amazing.
Thanks for posting the images and the information,it is much appreciated
Cheers
Thank you very much Ron, I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was quite exciting to see that little speck on the screen, I really didn't know if anything would be visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec35 View Post
That's very impressive! I think it's a worthy effort just having a go at something this small and it's turned out very well.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks a lot Steve Yes, it is small indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hothersall View Post
This is truely amazing Rolf, I also wanted to try this but it is small at 4.5" width on the HST image and faint, but to get the pink colour is wonderful.

John.
Thank you John, your images are very impressive and I'm sure you could get a good image of this one, I'd be very interested to see how it could turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haese View Post
Fabulous work Rolf. This is about the 4th hi res DSO that I have seen you post. Each one is quite interesting. I reckon your best though was you image of Eta Carina. However, this image is still pretty good. Great dedication to the seeking out the unusual. Thanks for posting.
Thanks Paul This is certainly not the most visually striking image but it was very reqarding to capture those few pink pixels I'm happy that you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
You, sir, are a legend.

That's super. : )

H
Thank you H

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Extreme imaging Rolf and great write-up and presentation.
Thank you Marc, glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
Excellent pickup Rolf and very interesting, thanks for the info.

It would be great to upgrade that Web cam huh..? ..although you do very well with it. Like the way you go for interesting stuff, keep it up.

Mike
Thanks very much Mike I'm certainly looking forward to an upgrade soon. I can't imagine what a joy it must be imaging with the equipment some of you guys have - although I might just be blissfully unaware of the complexities that awaits me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjastro View Post
Congratulations Rolf on both the image and presentation.

Regards

Steven
Thanks Steven, glad you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Very interesting shot Rolf. So it'll make a nice widefield image target like the Vela Supernova Remnant a long time in the future.

Makes you realise just how ancient some of these larger supernova remnants must be.

Greg.
Thank you Greg Yes those wispy remnants are truly ancient. Though SN1987A is also quite a bit further away, in the LMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
First real effort I've seen done of this object well done

To go boldly where no imager has gone before

Keep it up
Thank you Clive I'm not aware of any other amateur images of this one either, but I can easily imagine someone must have done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
Fantastic work Rolf! I was so impressed I dug out a HDR image of the LMC of mine at six this morning and made this image with your image superimposed with Registar. It is the same orientation as your image. It is full quality jpg about 7MB.

Here

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co...1987a_LMC_.jpg

I managed to find an image taken with the Meade SN10 4MB. The Meade SN10 does not resolve the remnant of SN1987a it just smears it with the two adjacent stars.

Here

http://d1355990.i49.quadrahosting.co..._2070sn10_.jpg

You are welcome to either in any way you want to show the rest of us where SN1987a is in the LMC.

If you need more images do not hesitate to ask.

Bert
Thank you very much Bert Great effort with the composite image, that is really awesome! It really puts it into context. Oh and thanks for pointing out just how pathetically small my chip is - It is all clear now, I really need to upgrade LOL...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Wonderful hi-resolution image Rolf, thanks for the view. All the best.
Thank you Lester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
An awesome image Rolf.

I always enjoy your images of the lesser imaged DSO's

Cheers
Thanks Ric It's exciting to go off the beaten track now and then.