View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 09:07 AM
glend (Glen)

Garbage In Garbage Out

I admit to relying too much on software tools to grade subs prior to processing. Whether it is DSS, SGP Image Grader, etc they seem to fall down in the area of good star shape culling. I have recently gone back to opening every captured sub with SGP enlarged stretched view before i process them to avoid 'contamination' of the stack. This becomes very labour intensive when trying to cull all the 'fast' subs that the ASI1600 can produce. My vision problems are now making this a more difficult task, even with a large editing screen. I am reduced to trying to analyse star shapes with just my good left eye, as macular degeneration induced distortion in the right eye makes it the only option; this is putting a strain on my remaing good eye that i would like to protect.
Can anyone recommend a 'tool' that can be used to validate star shapes, and not just count stars and produce a histogram value. Please no PI solutions.
I see that Billdan had a similiar question earlier this year and respondances seemed to rely on an eyeball cull. The eyeball cull is getting too difficult with my macular distortion, hence the revisit.

Last edited by glend; 07-11-2016 at 09:42 AM.