View Single Post
Old 08-11-2010, 04:59 PM
orestis

7/11/10 Obs report

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since i have been observing but saw that it was clear and i just couldn't let it slip.

Jupiter-This was my first time to ever see the GRS live through a telescope.It was quite hard to see but still visible with a pale orange colour to it.At 200x i was able to notice polar darkening and rifts in the Neb aswell as the GRS.I also was viewing a shadow transit of Ganymede(which was very crisp).I think the GRS was about 3 times the size of the shadow.I'm not qutie sure about planetary cardinal directions but in the ep view the GRS was on the west side.This was one of the best views of the planet i have had for quite some time.Also the grs seemed to be resting on the top of the polar region belt.

M2-Relatively easy to find being situated between 2 stars for easy identification.First thing i noticed is that it was quite concentrated but still resolvable on the outskirts of the cluster.It had a very spherical shape to it and granulaation was visible all over the surface apart from the very bright core region.It was an enjoyable view.I used the 9mm tmb to view this glob and i have to say that this is a great ep for resolving globs.Really top stuff.

I saw some old favorites like the tarantula nebula and 47 tucanae which were as usual breathtaking.

Had to call it short because of school the next day but still a very enjoyable session with my first viewing of the GRS.

thanks for reading
regards Orestis