View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

Just my point of view,

Dont bother with a DSLR unless you are truely just wanting to snap off a few quick shots for personal gratification. If on the other hand you would like to do it a bit more seriously and are genuinely interested (i always say be true to yourself how much time are you willing to dedicate) your only option is to go with a dedicated CCD camera, QHY8 are a great starter cam at an affordable price, for approximately 700 more the sbig 8300 is a great camera that will last you along time (with a good resale value if you decide to move up again).

I agree with mark with your OAG, on such a small scope with a (don't take it personally) budget focuser you will have poor results unless you spend 400 dollars and upgrade the focuser! I myself have made what i call a puck that turns the back of a SW Finderscope into a 1 1/4" ep holder to that my Meade DSI is now pretty much attached 24/7 I have great guiding no matter what.

A cheper alternative to the WO FF is the Baadar MPCC (Multi Purpose Coma Corrector) I have had good success with it though you will have to adjust the spacing to make it right for you.

This is a photo of the Christmastree/cone/hubble's variable neb that i took at the start of the year with wind conditions being absolutely poor (average wind speed of 40km/h with gusts upto 60) using a ED80/EQ6pro/Canon 40d/Meade DSI finderguider/MPCC

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/w...reecluster.png