View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Superb_Universe

Lightbulb Expert Advise Sought on Astrophotography Setup

Dear Friends,

I am a silent reader of this forum for the long-time. And i know we have lots of experts here. After spending some of the useful as well as wasting $$$, i am back here to sought some help from you.
=================================== ===========
I am using following gear.
- Orion ED80 APO Refractor on Sirius EQG Goto mount.
- Orion finder scope 7x50
- 1.25" diagonal
- EP: 10mm Spear Walter - Wide Angle
- Televue barlow 2.5x, Celestron barlow 2x
- Colour filters for EP

Toshiba laptop with USB to serial connector has following softwares
- PHP guiding & Guide master
- Celestron Registax and Amcap
- EQmod
- Ascom drivers
- Stellarium

Cameras:
- Leica V-lux1 - Fix Lens - DSLR (Without the Bulb mode - Max shutter delay is 30 sec) (Photo quality is quite good: http://myvraj.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html and http://www.flickr.com/photos/frausg )
- Web-cam with 1" diameter..I would like to pad some rubber around and use it for the guiding if possible.
- Celestron Nextimager - It is showing green-and black straight lines in recording..so i guess it needs some repairing.

=================================== ===========
I have used this scope for viewing purpose at the moment. And i am impressed with the view of moon, saturn, pleiades , M42 etc..

My feeling is i have all the tools; now i have to find a way to use them efficiently. Again i will welcome the comments from the expert, if i have to add any other item in my inventory.

For Astrophotos, i want to shoot pleiades , M42, planets, moon, double star etc..

Q1- Should i go on Afocal photography path using my leica or prime focus photography using camera like Canon 450D or go for SBIG cameras??

Q2 - I always spend more around 30 minutes in polar alignment and three star alignement and so on.. Is there any suggestion for the permanent setup (marking on the ground)..So that i can put my EQG straight on it for perfect polar alignment??

Q3 - Is there any other accessories are needed for complete astrophoto setup?

Q4 - I am planning to buy EQDIR cable and Orion Deluxe Off-Axis Guider. Any suggesting in this regard? Do i need separate guide scope??

Q5 - With this scope; Is it possible to do deepsky photography?

Q6 - I am also planning to buy some new EPs for viewing.. Should i go for 2" or 1.25" path?

Q7 - Can i use my finder scope as a guide scope?

Pls note; i am still struggling in this domain. Your detail answers will be appreciated.

Thanking You
Pratik

Last edited by Superb_Universe; 04-02-2010 at 12:01 PM.