View Single Post
Old 21-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Hi Chris,

I agree with Dennis, the best thing I have bought for my unmodded Canon 1000D is the EOS CLS clip in filter. It's quite easy to remove and re-insert, so dont worry about this at all, however, you CANT use it with EFS lenses as they are too long and bash into it inside the camera body and scratch it to hell (speaking from experience here....)

As you can see in Dennis' test shots, it introduces a blue cast into the image if the white balance is set to auto (or anything else) but this can be fixed by taking a photo with it in of a white piece of paper in broad daylight (no shadows) and then setting this to the CUSTOM white balance in the camera. When you then take night shots, the colours are more realistic (although slight skewed towards red).

I have attached a pic of my latest (and best so far) M20 Trifid using 54 mins of 3 min subs at ISO 800, taken from my light polluted backyard in Kellyville Ridge (Sydney) with the EOS clip in place. In my opinion, it reveals MUCH more nebulosity than before as it cuts down so much of the grey "wash" that is up there due to the light pollution.

It also therefore makes it easier to process the resultant stacks of subs.

Well worth it if you have a Canon camera. If not, I think you can get LP filters for other cameras too, just not as convenient as the EOS clip in one.

Cheers

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (M20-230612.jpg)
195.7 KB154 views