View Single Post
Old 23-02-2019, 09:23 AM
RyanJones

The idea of inflation is hard to get ones head around. The idea that everything is moving away from everything else at the same rate and that as such there is no central point from which everything is moving. Let's just go with that idea for a minute though and turn to the" observable universe " the key word being observable. All " observations " are taken from a central point, us, as it is us that is observing it. 13.5 billion years in every direction making the observer centre of the universe. This would hold true no matter where the observer was in the universe in which case it is inconceivable that there isn't more beyond what we can observe. Our " understanding " is only ever based on what we can observe though and all therories that have been tried and tested are under the assumption that with the technology or natural senses we possess that we can in fact observes everything that is possible. This to me sounds quite arrogant.

The other problem that I have with the idea of inflation is again that the universe and everything within it is expanding away from everything else. We as human beings are in that universe. Doesn't it make sense then that we are also, down to a subatomic level, expanding at that same rate ? And if so, how can we observe this expansion if we are part of it. Much like two people standing " stationary " on a train. For us to observe and measure the expansion of everything, if indeed this it what is happening, must we not be metophoically outside the train ? Or are we the only place in the universe that is not subject to this expansion ?

These theories are nice to a point of human comprehension but I am far from convinced they are " right ". Hence why we continually find holes in our own arguements. It may also be true that my personal thoughts are clouded by my ignorance on the subject matter, but then isn't that true for everyone expect the one person who does in fact " know " everything ?