View Single Post
Old 21-02-2016, 10:08 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benklerk View Post
I know at some point I will need to buy a autoguider. What do people think of the Orion package vs prostar LP guide?

What is a good guidescope size 50mm or 80mm?
What is a good why to attach it to the GSO. Remove the finderscope?
Well since the RC06 does not come with a top rail (although you can buy them from Andrews), mounting the guidescope on the finder shoe is ok, especially if using something like the Orion Miniguider. If you buy the top rail from Andrews and install it yourself then you can use most any guidescope that takes a Vixen rail attachment.

I would suggest you put the RC on the mount and check the collimation with a Star Test before you do anything else. GSO RCs are notorious for being delivered out of collimation but usually it is only the secondary that moves. I would not touch the primary at this point. Once again you really need to do some reading on RC collimation and if you can borrow a TAK Collimation scope that would help you alot.

Don't get ahead of your self and try to image until you have the scope collimation sorted out and can use it visually on your mount. To use it visually you will probably need to add both extension tubes to achieve visual focus, with imaging the camera will probalby only need one extension tube to achieve focus.