View Single Post
Old 23-04-2006, 04:20 AM
Gargoyle_Steve (Steve)
Space Explorer

Shacky I had looked at the Seben scopes on ebay too briefly .. .then I got smart and did a google search on that brand name, everywhere I found it (apart from Sebens own site) it was always mentioned as being a typical "wobbletronic" ie apparently not worth the effort, even though you seem to get astronomically good value, to make a really rotten pun.

The only place on ebay I saw of interest for scopes was the Meade factory outlet (ebay US only) and it only posts to the US. Again I was warned by members of this forum that though the 114,mm, etc, Meade scopes may have been ok, the mounts are what really lets the scopes, and the owners down. Even these Meades at the lowest price ranges apparently have wobbly mounts so it becomes a hellish frustration to try and get the scope pointed, and not wobbling, and focused ..... all at the same time. Which doesn't happen!

I know someone with a similar level wobbly mount / tripod / scope package, and it frustrates him so badly he leaves it in the shed all the time now.

After the good advice from the learned folks here (or as Homer Simpson said " It's pronounced learnd ") what kind of scope did I end up buying, seeing as I started pretty much where you are?

I spoke to Andrews Comms and Bintel, and I am now the very happy and proud owner of a 10" Dob.
(Which is a Newtonian reflector type telescope with a 10" diameter main mirror, mounted on an inexpensive but very solid Dobsonian type mount, not a tripod type affair).

The Dob's provide simnply the best value going, they offer large diameter (ie large light gathering capability) optics at prices unbeatable by any other type scope available.

I hope this information has been of some help to you.

Welcome to the forums, and I hope you buy something that will make you very happy!

Steve