View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 11:43 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

SOLD – 8” Reflector on Dobsonian base – Bintel BT-202 - $400

Reluctantly I must part with my first telescope, my lovely 8” dob with which I learnt a lot and spent many happy nights under the stars.

I bought it in early 2007 from its first owner who said he had had it for some months.

Bintel’s website states the following for its current BT-202 08" Premium Dobsonian – “26mm (2") Fully Multi Coated Eyepiece, 15mm and 9mm Fully multicoated Plossl Eyepieces, Moon filter, 8x50 90° Correct Image Finderscope, Base carry handle, eyepiece rack for 2" and 1.25" eyepieces and Snap-on dust cap.”

This scope has all the above except for the finderscope which is a straight through 8x50. In addition, I have already swapped over the focusser to the GSO 10:1 fine focus model.

But wait, there’s more:-

I’ll include an additional eyepiece, a Bintel 6mm plossl.

And yet there’s more:-

I’ve done a lot of work to improve the scope. Check out the following:-

* An Astrosystems pivot kit, providing a central Teflon washer to improve azimuth movement and to provide a bolt which can hold an encoder

* An Astrosystems teflon bearing kit which replaces all supplied Teflon bearings with thicker and better mounted (countersunk screws, not staples) bearings

* Ebony star laminate added to the upper azimuth board and to the altitude trunions. The movement of this scope is silky smooth.

* Added extra eyepiece holders; handles on the base; metal plates on the base for storing counterweight magnets

* Two counterweight magnets are included

* Cover added to bottom of OTA to direct fan airflow up the tube – seems to help reduce dew formation on the mirrors

* “Eric’s Knobs” replacing original screws for easy secondary mirror tilt for collimation

* Flocking added to upper tube unit wall behind secondary mirror

* Custom made base on wheels for easy movement of whole scope

Plastic cover and showercap (to prevent ingress of spiders and bugs) - gratis.

For the handyperson who is interested, I’ll include a prototype equatorial table - gratis. Has been used by its previous owner – I’ve made some improvements and adjustments so it specifically fits this scope. It needs a bit more work.

All this for $400.

Pickup only (Bacchus Marsh, Victoria) or I will deliver in the Melbourne/Ballarat/Geelong area. I’d prefer to show the new owner all the features, plus set it up, collimate and get the new owner well underway to happy observing.

Send me a message.

Thanks for looking
Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Pointing Left with cap.jpg)
90.3 KB68 views
Click for full-size image (Pointing Right and finderscope.jpg)
54.4 KB70 views
Click for full-size image (Alt bearing - spring - handle - stop.jpg)
68.4 KB69 views
Click for full-size image (Alt bearing.jpg)
53.8 KB75 views
Click for full-size image (Eric's Knobs and flocking.jpg)
49.2 KB85 views
Click for full-size image (Inside of OTA and primary.jpg)
56.8 KB71 views
Click for full-size image (View through focusser.jpg)
37.1 KB64 views

Last edited by erick; 28-08-2008 at 12:00 AM.