View Single Post
Old 16-08-2013, 02:52 PM
townsy (Sam)

Hello all. I don't remember a time when I wasn't interested in space and, it seems, the genes have been passed on to my son. I've always wanted to get involved in some astrophotography and thought now would be a good time to get started seeing as my son has shown such interest. Anyway, I have a few questions. I'm getting myself a DSLR and the camera I have settled on is a Canon D60 which I will not be getting modified, at least not yet as I still want to use it for every day shots. I thought I would just attach it to an equatorial mount but which one? I inherited a Meade ETX-125 some years ago which does have a mount but it is not an equatorial. That mount is not in good shape these days anyway, the telescope is fine.

Short term I plan on just attaching the camera to an equatorial mount and taking some 'simple' shots of the night sky and perhaps planets while I learn the craft. However, I'd like to be able to, eventually, add a telescope to the mount rather than purchase another mount and attach the camera to the telescope. Perhaps that's too much forward planning... I guess it comes down to whether I am better off with, for example, an EQ3 or EQ5?

In regards to which mount, is it necessary to pay extra and use the GOTO software with the Skywatcher mounts or purchase a motorised equatorial mount and use EQMOD?

There appears to be at least one method to polar align a mount using a CCD or DSLR, is it more simple to use a polar scope?

Thank you, in advance, for any help you give.