View Single Post
Old 22-11-2011, 08:41 AM
rainwatcher (Peter)

Hi, i made my own 8" f6. Mirror, tube, mount, stepper driver circuits, computer control, gear box -the lot. I bought the secondary and the focuser. It was very therapeutic and i learnt so much about the science and theory whilst doing it. My aim was to do astrophotography and i did some average sort of stuff, but i could not get the quality of control in my gearbox - limited budget, and have since converted it to a Dob. I now have a Celestron C8+ for photography. But my hand made mirror Dob outclasses it for general viewing. I was really proud of it, still am. I love the history of astronomy and I felt I was following a line of endeavour that went back to Galileo. Hope i don’t sound too pompous but its like being part of the continuum of history. I have three books, collectors items i believe, that i used as background research; Telescopes and Accessories, George Z Dimitroff and James G Baker 1st Ed 1948; Amateur Telescope Making, Edited by Albert G Ingalls 4th Ed. 1935 - with a forward by Harlow Shapley; Amateur Telescope Making Advanced, Edited by Albert G Ingalls 1st Ed. 1937. I also have How to Make a Telescope by Jean Texereau which I used extensively. Modern materials make it easier to obtain the quality finish but the science of optics has not changed.