View Single Post
Old 27-10-2008, 02:07 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Jason

The AN encoder kit on my 12" works well. I bought it from an owner who knew a good bit about tinkering. Here is a project of his for a stalk to mount the AN unit which includes plenty of mention of the encoder mounting:-

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-401-0-0-1-0.html

I took the encoders off for many months until I managed to source a second-hand AN unit. Then reinstalled basically as Scott had them previously. They have worked flawlessly the two or three times I have used it since.

Updates - He shows the alt encoder bracket tied down. I now leave that loose - it just sits on the pin (L hook) under gravity. I since added ebony star strips to the alt bearings, so I work with the tension springs in place, one spring hangs off the brass bolt which is the axis to the encoder. No problem.

He has another project in the IIS listings - for a fan mount ( http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-400-0-0-1-0.html ). Note that when I took the Az encoder off, I could leave the fan hang loose on the neoprene. Now I have to hold it up with an elastic tie from one side to the other to ensure the fan just clears the encoder as I go for the zenith. Scott was very worried about side-to-side flexure/movement as the OTA moved in Alt. I have done two mods. First I have fitted a piece of "tin" to either side of the base, to just under halfway up the alt bearing. This discourages side-to side movement, and hasn't affected handling. I have just completed a second project, suspending an eyepiece box up behind the scope with two steel bars bolted to the sides of the base. These add significant rigidity to the sides of the base.

I'll get some photos of the encoders, as mounted, over the next week and post them.

I do understand the new GSOs have modified Alt tension arrangements so perhaps the encoder kit has required modifications? Wildcard Innovations can advise, I'm sure.

Eric