View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 08:49 PM
knightrider
Unregistered User

Looking for 25mm recommendations for a Fast Newt

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for a budget 25mm wide/er 1.25" field ep .

Currently just using the packaged Super Plossl that came with the SW 10" Dob. It's the better one, not the cereal box "super 25". It's seems to be fine, pretty crisp, but I haven't tried anything else at this FL so I don't know any better.

Also have the 2" 30mm GSO SV as another low power EP.

My criteria is:

- Budget of $50-$130...?

- Well corrected for a f/4.7 newt @ 1200mm F/L - Looking for a flat field, crisp/sharp/contrasty to 95% out hopefully.

- Wider field than 52 degrees. 60 degrees seems to fit the budget. Unless a good 68 is available..?

- Also....take into account that I'm not using a coma corrector, not really in my budget.

I've done a lot of dredging on the CN and SGL forums on the following:

- 25mm BST Dual ED/AT Paradigm/Agena Dual ED - This FL seems to the weaker ones and doesn't do too well in the outer regions in a fast scope. (I have a 12mm Dual ED and it is eeeexcellent, hoping to get the 5mm version later...)

- 25mm BST UWA 58 degree - Similar story apparently, not that great on the outer regions in a fast scope.

- 25mm Meade HD-60's & Celestron X-Cel LX - Apparently these seem to work well in a fast newt. But would like to hear any experiences of them from any of you guys in this FL.

- 26mm ES62 - Probably out of my price range... I haven't done any digging on these yet.

- 25mm Saxon Cielo HD ED (60 degree) - I can't find anything on these EP's... I would love to know how they perform in a fast scope.

Any other ranges I might have missed worth looking at?

On a side note, not having the experience with a variety of EP's... How do I distinguish the difference between Coma and astigmatism or other distortions at the EP?

Thanks for your input guys

Last edited by knightrider; 06-04-2019 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Grammar + Spelling