View Single Post
Old 21-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Yeah, by planewave data I mean they own the dataset that eqmod uses to solve. I think there are three datasets or methods to chose from? I just use the auto and it seems to chose that one. Its probably not something to think about. If yours is solving at all, it has a dataset to refer to.

Insofar as moving it a bit off the pole, I think a small movement would be a good start, perhaps 3 or so degrees in both dec and RA, in line with Paul's suggestion about direction, too

Sounds like you're very close to having it dialled it!
Thanks, that helps! I will try this out next session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
If you use PS2 for near solving the time taken to solve will depend entirely on how close to the target you land. It uses a spiral search so every time it moves out a layer the number of index files it uses to solve increases significantly. I found with mine if it was within a degree or two it solved fairly quickly, and then a little further out it was slow and a bit more again was basically unusable.

Using ASPS your pixel size needs to be right and the focal length needs to be very close to spot on. It is worth using the settings assistant to check that you have your focal length bang on as it can make a big difference to time taken for a blind solve using ASPS or even solving at all.
Thanks, that info makes sense. When you say the 'settings assistant' is that within APT or ASPS?

Also, in somewhat of a revelation for me, I've just figured out how to sync to the mount any coordinates I manually input. The astronomy.net Platesolver has frustrated me previously as it has always, 100% of the time, platesolved a result but I've not been able to work out how to take the RA/DEC coordinates the website gives you and feed them into the mount. Today I discovered that under the "GOTO RA/DEC" coordinates box in APT, there is a little Sync button, that will sync to the coordinates entered into that box instead of telling the mount to GoTo them. Hallelujah! That discovery increases my platesolve arsenal of tools and importantly adds one that has, to date, always worked for me. The downside is I need to make sure any imaging site has 4G data to access it