View Single Post
Old 22-06-2015, 07:46 PM
PRejto (Peter)

Hi Greg,

Well, I'll be most curious to see if you actually do better with a min move of .5 when you are obviously getting good results with .2. By setting .5 are you not essentially saying that a guide star movement of .5 pix is to be totally ignored and not corrected? Yes, I suppose one could argue that seeing of 2 arc-sec would blur that anyway, yet, I constantly hear and read complaints from people that gripe about a RMS already lower than the min move they have set. Maybe I don't understand something but if you set the min move to .5 then you won't even correct until the star has moved .6, and then if aggression is set to 3 it will move in the correct direction .2 or so. So how would that translate into a good RMS? I personally think a better way to combat poor seeing is to increase exposure (as you have mentioned in the first post). Where we part company is that I think slightly higher aggression might be necessary as the exposure increases due to the fact that the mount might have drifted further away during the longer exposure.. If the aggression is set too low the correction might not be large enough. Anyway, in my limited experience that seems to work for me. I've found with my MEII I can do long exposures (6-10+ seconds) and that works usually much better than short. But, I think to do that you need good PEC and good Protrack.. You might want to see how long you can go with just PEC + Protack. Even if it is "only" 30 sec one could argue not to make corrections every 5 sec! I think if you start to use TSX for guiding once you calibrate I don't believe you need to recalibrate unless you change something on the guide camera.

Peter