View Single Post
Old 22-06-2015, 05:20 PM
gregbradley

I don't know Lewis, it seems a bit skinny to me.FSQ is a short focal length scope but its ultra sharp. How much of that ultra sharpness are you giving away to differential flexure? I would suggest a substantial amount. So you spend a bomb on ultra sharpness but don't actually receive it in the final image. A 1x1 binned 16803 images is several screens wide and shows up even the smallest guide errors. A displayed image is substantially reduced down from that massive size so it can hide some of these guide errors. I have had 2 FSQs and getting ultra sharp round stars is not necessarily totally easy either.

I am not a fan of guide scopes although I do use one sometimes on my CDK17 with its reducer. MMOAG is so much superior its not even close. Guide scopes invariably flex to a greater or lesser degree and reduce resolution of the final image.

A barlow is just another thing that can flex. I only use screw adapters not eyepiece holder type fittings. They often flex and they come become loose if they get cold.

Greg.