View Single Post
Old 19-09-2007, 07:45 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi RodRoger, to IceInSpace.

It's unfortunate that you're having problems with your scope. Those short-tube reflectors really are best avoided. The built-in barlow is usually of suspect quality (sometimes plastic) and really will deteriorate the view more often that not.

If the mirror is pinched, you could follow the instructions here: Checking the optics of your GSO dob. It explains how to do it on a GSO mirror cell, but it won't be too different to yours i'm sure.

I'm not sure how much you paid for it, but it will probably give you constant trouble. From what i've heard, they are notoriously difficult to collimate properly.

For under $400-$500 you could get an 8" reflector on a dob base. A much more pleasing view, easier to modify, easier to collimate, great optics for the price. You really can't go wrong with them. Literally hundreds of IceInSpace members have bought them after they first came here for advice.

But, if you're prepared to stick with what you've got, we'll keep helping you out where we can! Get along to a local observing night of an astro society or IIS meetup and experienced people there can help you with collimation.

It's probably best to start a new thread for future questions because this beginners thread is quite long and maybe your post will be missed by people that can help you more.