View Single Post
Old 17-01-2021, 09:37 PM
Aurorae (Sara)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuts View Post
There is a difference between starsense alignment and polar alignment. Starsense is for alt az mounts and allows accurate gotos after telling the mount where it is. If you want to take better nebula photos you need to be polar aligned which is aligning the mount to point at the south celestial pole. Star sense does not do this, it just builds a model that the mount can use to goto objects. I am not sure if you are getting an eq or alt az mount. If it's alt az then you will get little circles as the stars rotate around the polar axis as the mount cannot track properly in the eq manner. At your focal length with short subs this may not be an a great issue.
Thanks for the clarification, and I mentioned in the post title the skywatcher star adventurer, which makes the process inevitable and given the size it is really no big deal. The comments were really just about what would be great to have, but not necessarily what I need. I do know that the mount is the most important thing, and this decision was really about that portability and being able to travel with it as I don't want those big, heavy mounts.