View Single Post
Old 13-01-2021, 11:18 AM
sneaks (Paul)

Hi Sara,

I'm a complete beginner to astrophotography, but bought my Star Adventurer Pro 2i a week ago. I've been a bit baffled by it. For example, there is an app you can install on your phone to control it, and the camera also, if you get a cable to link the camera to the mount.

BUT, I could NOT get my phone to work with the app. My phone can connect to the mounts wifi just fine, but the app says "not connected". You actually have to turn off cellular data usage!!! and then the app will connect. Needless to say, that is a real problem for phone use. How can I use the console app and internet at the same time?!? But I ended up installing the console app on an old iPad, and that works just fine. But pretty stupid imho.

Also, when you connect to the mount via the console app - it does NOT track. You have to start a photo run for it to start tracking! That is bizarre. It means you lose your target tracking until you start imaging. Again, that makes it pretty pointless if you ask me.

I do not know if there are fixes for those issues or not - I'm still trying to learn. But there wasn't much online from my google searches.

However, using the mount without app control is pretty good. It tracked nicely for me. Well for 30s exposures anyway, which is the longest I've tried so far.

Hope this helps.