View Single Post
Old 16-04-2009, 11:48 AM
rat156

That's OK for a little noise in the background, but doesn't work for skyglow from LP in a suburban setting.

In our case (most of us are in the same boat to varying degrees), the skyglow is signal, unwanted signal, but signal nevertheless. Increasing exposure times is useless, if the background is drowning out the signal, it'll always do so.

The only solutions are;
  1. wait until the object is nearer zenith, or away from the LP, incidently this is the main reason most of my DS stuff is a couple of months behind everyone else's, I'm waiting until the object clears the Melbourne LP
  2. Use an LPR filter, after much research I chose the IDAS filter from Hutech. It works, but I still get LP gradients.
  3. go on a rampage and destroy all of the external lighting that's poorly designed, or simply pointing straight up. This is pointless as they'll replace it faster than you can destroy it.
I'd only advise 1 and 2. The last one may get you locked up.

There is a fourth option, to lobby your local politicians to drop the amount of external lighting used after dark, but I wouldn't hold your breath...

Cheers
Stuart