View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010, 09:25 AM
Liz

Observation report 7/4

Clear skies finally in FNQ, so very eager to set up and do some observing.
Love carbon stars and wanted to check a few out, but only found the easy one. Did try for W Orionis and R Leporis, and V Hydra.
Unable to see even the Leo galaxies, due to poor seeing .. or visibly see Omega Centauri which I can normally see from here.
Had aimed for many more objects but conditions uncomfortable, so a very basic observing list only.

Date - 7/4/10
Time - 8-9 pm
Place - Saunders Beach
Instument - 10" coll-dob. 15mm SWAN 72' FOV. 9mm Nagler.
Conditions - 26.5 dg 84% humidity. Not great seeing.

Saturn - a delight as usual, very sharp and clear, with 4 Moons visible!! Not sure if I have seen 4 Moons with Saturn before, and checked with Stellarium to be sure.

The Orion Nebula - M42 - This emission nebula is a favourite of mine, as such a beautiful sight. Trapezium was very clear, and the streams of nebulosity were stunning. I did try a nebula filter (NPB) which didnt seem to make much difference.

ESB 365 - Carbon star in Crux - 7th mag star in sam FOV as Beta Crucis. Always a wonderful sight, though appeared a little dimmer than when I last saw it.

The Jewel Box - NGC 4755 in Crux - Beautiful little open cluster with bright stars, and a gorgeous red star as the ruby of the jewels.

Also checked out a few stars - Betelgeuse, Bellatrix, Castor, Alpha Centauri and Rigel.

Inside about 9pm, was so muggy and just dripping in sweat, clothes saturated so inside to the shower. Still a great night though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn.jpg)
17.6 KB21 views