View Single Post
Old 13-08-2019, 07:22 AM
bojan
amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavytone View Post
Ah... Bojan I think these will be OK at first but with use the plastic will rapidly wear an the click stops will go soft and possibly a bit off-centre.

Someone muttered that its possible to print now in an aluminium alloy of some sort (my guess its sintered or something to get it to bond properly). That would produce a better result esp if you could sooth the surface a tad - a careful hand job with grade 600 wet & dry paper (used wet) would probably produce a reasonable finish.

Good point... but printing with aluminium (or any metal) is way beyond the capabilities of my DIY 3D printer....
I saw such printer in CSIRO Clayton, Lab22... amazing experience.

However, now that you put a bug in my ear, I can place metal shim on the ball path to avoid the scenario you descibed.

One thing I do differently (I think..) from other 3D-printers is I always try to combine techologies to mitigate inherent weakneses of printed ABS (printing time, mechanical strength..).

As another example (apart from ball-spring assembly), I am using ø6mm PVC rod as shaft (in 3x turret), inserted into machined hole and secured (and glued) with M3 rod (cutoff from m3 screw). Initially I wanted to use brass standoff, which is still in consideration as this 3x turet is preliminary model.. turned out too well not to be used for a while.