View Single Post
Old 14-06-2019, 03:53 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outcast View Post
I have a set of series 5000 uwa's in 6.7/8.8/14 & 20mm... In my SCT & Refractor I love them... sharp as, edge to edge to my eye... however, an unknown quantity for me in a fastish newt as yet but, that will change soon as I'm acquiring a 12" f5 dob.

The 20mm in the 8" SCT on bright nebs is superb, its immersive, almost like being inside the nebula... yes, you have to move your eye around to take it all in but, I actually like that feeling...

The 14mm is IMHO the soft/weak spot in these EPs; nothing precise I can put my finger on just, not as much wow factor for some reason...

I recently acquired a 30mm Explore Scientific 82* EP, equally impressive views, not such an immersive view but, i suspect that is more a factor of fov than anything else...

I'm hoping the Meades work well in the newt I'm getting, if anyone has experience with them in that regard I'd be keen to know.

Cheers
Thanks. I've got the Series 5000 8.8mm UWA - which I bought a couple of years ago before my operation, and I haven't tried it yet either. I want to compare it to my 9mm Nagler.

I've also got the 18mm UWA in my SCT, which I thought was pretty good - before my back went, and I haven't used it since, as I hate suffering the next day.

And I'm waiting for the 20mm UWA to come in the mail - so I guess I'll have to either suffer with my SCT or just use it in my refractors.

Interesting you don't like the 14mm. I have the old Series 4000 one which I think was very good - same viewing experience as in the Series 5000 6.7mm I described - just very heavy. I found it handy in my dob as a 3mm exit pupil eyepiece for looking at faint open clusters.

If going by my f4/5 dob is anything to go by, I suspect you'll be happy with all your 6.7, 8.8 and 14mm Meades. 20mm I don't know, might be fine or might not be without a coma corrector.

In terms of wow factor, this might sound laughable, but my favourite eyepiece in my small refractors is a 16mm 1.25" Widescan I bought back in 1997. It is bad in my SCT, and utterly hopeless in my dob. Yet despite its not being sharp at the edges, it's the eyepiece I always go for in refractors - convenient and it wows me.
Cheers,
Renato