View Single Post
Old 25-12-2018, 03:31 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Nice going Peter, tricky capturing bees in flight eh, they are hardly ever in the focus zone, let alone in the frame at right time,,,,
My 'hint' that i've tried to more success is to be patient, watch the bees flights, using a tripod & have a flower in frame and focused, turn off auto focus if have it, and lean the camera back with the tripod just a centimeter or two, this helps the focus accuracy when the bee enters the flower, then move tripod forward till on all three legs again and your focus should be good for when bee lands ,,, but that said, everyone has their own tactics after experimenting !
I find that auto focus is just not quick enough for anything moving quick, Lol.
Another tip, try keeping your exposure as fast as possible if you havent, may need to increase the ISO to near max, this helps keeping the F/Ratio up, maybe F/10 or more 'depending on the available Light' higher F/Ratio's helps increase the depth of field, this enables the bee to be slightly further away from the exact focus point but still remain quite sharp, it is only a matter of millimeters, but it all can make a difference..

I do like the photos, and the arachnids look great with their web in your compositions - great angles there