View Single Post
Old 16-12-2018, 07:32 PM
FredinBroome (Fred)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeniSkunk View Post
I think it really depends on how many eyepieces, filters, and other accessories the kit has, as to how much will turn out to be waste.

In my case, I bought the now semi-discontinued Sky-Watcher Eyepiece and Filter Kit to use with my Sky-Watcher 130/650 tabletop collapsible Dobsonian. I call the eyepiece kit 'semi-discontinued' as the manufacturer of Sky-Watcher, Synta, still do the kit under their Celestron brand.
The kit contains a 15mm Kellner, 6mm Plössl, 2x Barlow, Lunar filter, Blue 80A filter, and Red 25 filter.
Australian Geographic list the Celestron kit for $149.99. Celestron Astromaster Accessory Kit. That's nearly twice what I paid.
https://shop.australiangeographic.co...ssory-kit.html

In terms of usefulness for me, the 6mm Plössl has turned out to basically be a paperweight. The Red 25 filter, I didn't find a use for. The Lunar filter gets use when viewing the moon, and the 80A I use for viewing some planets. The 2x Barlow, and 15mm Kellner immediately became, and have stayed, immediate go-to pieces of kit.
The 15mm Kellner is a nice in-between size to the stock Sky-Watcher Super 10 and Super 25 modified achromats, and is better quality.
The 2x Barlow, is for when I need more focal length to increase magnification.

Going by what Bryan describes, I should have retired the Sky-Watcher 15mm Kellner, after buying the Saxon Cielo HD 12mm, as the Saxon is far higher quality and is very close in magnification to the 15mm. I use the 15mm Kellner for basic viewing to see if there's anything I want to examine in more detail with the Saxon eyepieces and possibly the Barlow.

Fred, with your Saxon telescope, one question comes to mind, do you want to stay with Plössl type eyepieces, or look at other types?
Hi Jenifur,

Thanks for your input. I actually researched about the Baader 8-24mm zoom eyepiece Mk 4 and heard mostly excellent reports about them. I found one at a great price with free shipping from Astro Petes so I went ahead and purchased it, just then actually hehe. I'm still looking for filters but in no hurry and will get some after more research is done. I do have a moon filter that came with a crappy F36050 so I will try that when the moon is brighter as it appears all telescope optics are interchangeable.

Thanks to Patrick for giving me the heads up.

Cheers, Fred