View Single Post
Old 26-08-2019, 09:00 PM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Thanks
I do plan on eventually doing a zooming thing on the finished project but that's still quite some time off and I still have no idea how to do it at a higher resolution yet. Will cross that bridge when I get to it.

Thanks Kelvin, there is just something about the level of contrast that a mosaic brings that cannot be captured in any other way. Sure, they're a lot of work but they're worth it

1. Most of it has been taken from my dark site in Heathcote, Victoria but last year I did a few trips up central NSW to get away from the perpetual Victorian cloud.

2. I've been using SGP for image capture and do want to move over to Voyager in the future for it's great focusing routines. As for creating the mosaic, I do that in TheSkyX. As you've pointed out, the FramingMosaicWizard doesn't go well wit larger mosaics. I've found that over 15º of field SPG dies on my laptop but TSX allows for easy and instant mosaics to be created. It did take quite a lot of work to figure out how to import the coordinates outputted by TSX into SGP. After I figured it out it took about 10 minutes to convert the TSX file into one that SGP could recognise. SGP also only allows for about 50 targets to be imported at once otherwise it crashes so I create a nightly target list.

I didn't keep any of the really bad frames but below 25º it's possible to see atmospheric refraction as a VERY visible thing when blinking frames. Stars can move a few arcminutes!
Sky darkness has nothing to do with this as light pollution doesn't have any play with the amount of atmosphere that you're looking through. There is only two ways to beat high air mass, shoot from a mountain top in Chile or shoot higher in the sky (don't shoot below 30º).

Thanks very much Colin. That's most helpful in a few different ways. I worked out that your 650mm FL Sextuplet and D810 has the same FoV as my ASI183MC and my 120-300mm Duo-Deca-Sextuplet at 235mm. But I think i'll keep practicing with my 135mm Samyang for now.