View Single Post
Old 02-10-2012, 08:46 PM
LostBoyNZ (Graham Parker)

Question Polar Alignment in New Zealand question

Hi,

I'm starting to polar align my 8" LX200 + Mitty Euro Wedge. Reading guides, watching YouTube videos and such, I think I'm *starting* to understand.

I think I've already made one major mistake, by pointing the "North Leg" on the wedge north. Living in the Southern Hemisphere, should that be pointing South instead? So the fork would be pointing South instead of North?

Once I've got that part right, I believe I change the DEC to 90 degrees (or 0 if I'm going off the hand controller screen), and try to find a star like Sigma Octanis (1 degree off the south celestial pole) by moving only the controls on the Mitty Wedge, not the scope.

Then I try to center the SCP in my eyepiece (haven't reached the part about finding the SCP from Sigma Octanis yet) and then using a lighted eyepiece, I try to drift align.

After that, I use the telescopes align mode, and the stars it uses to align should be centered in my eyepiece, if I've done things right.

Does that sound like everything is in the right order? Or does the telescope align mode come earlier?

Any thoughts or tips would be fantastic, hehe. Thanks!!