View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 03:07 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulloch View Post
Hi Marc, good to see the new camera working out for you, the jetstream is massive at the moment which might be affecting your results (at least it did mine when I tried 2 nights ago).
Hi Andrew, yes so far pretty happy with it. Got to get used to the new settings though re: gain and exposure. It was clear and by the look of it next few days might be overcast so I went for it regardless. Plus it's the long week-end. I can sleep in

Quote:
You may have mentioned this before, but why are you capturing so much black space? 640x480 is way too high for Mars (I use 220x220 on my barlowed 9.25"), that will affect your file size.
Yeah I know. I though it was pretty tight though. I used Sharpcap this time and one of the standard FOVs from the dropdown. I have to learn how to set up my custom FOVs like in FireCapture. And I think I might have moved the camera a little further too so the magnification is bigger now. Pixel size may be different to. Not sure. I need to check all this. Lots of testing that night. The mount also had the new motors and the RA extension installed, new polar scope reticule as well. I kind of juggled a few things rushing to get some data quickly that night.

Quote:
I assume you are capturing the unbayered footage (not RGB) so your filesize isn't 3x the size it needs to be. No need to capture at 16 bit, all you are capturing is more noise and increasing file size.
Good question. Short answer I have no idea. I'll check. Good point on the file size. But for sure SER is raw and always mono right?
Same size whether it has a bayer pattern or straight LUM.

Quote:
I don't understand your comment about derotating 3x1min ser files, Mars rotates so slowly you could probably capture for 10 minutes and not have a program with planetary rotation.
I was worried that at that magnification 3min would be enough to smear fine details so instead of stacking 3min of video maybe stack 3x1min then combine the 3 masters in WinJUPOS and derotate but if you say so 10min is heaps. I've got so many frames to chose from now. That particular SER was ~14GB 640x480 @ 251fps and 45325 frames total.