View Single Post
Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM
Tulloch (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Well the camera is certainly a lot quicker. I was able to get 240fps in SER 8bit at gain 200. Did a few test at 16bit as well. It was pretty close to the moon so I'm sure the colors are not correct and I'll have to work out the balance. I kept the histogram in the 70/80% ball park to avoid white clipping. The files are huge though (~13GB for 3minutes @ 640x480 ROI) . I filled up my 240GB SSD 3 times so I have a capture storage issue now. I might get another SSD and rotate one downloading to the PC while the other is imaging. I have a few somewhere but I can't remember where I've put them. I'm getting better with focus because of the high frame rate. Seeing was at times "wow" and others "wtf" looking at the loop so I'm sure I'll find some crisp ones in there somewhere. I might have to cut the SER in shorter bits like 3x1min and process and derotate accordingly. I'm sure some of the data is pretty good. I just have to dig it out now. Here's a quick stack of one of the last loops. I also did plenty on Jupiter and Saturn early in the night.
Hi Marc, good to see the new camera working out for you, the jetstream is massive at the moment which might be affecting your results (at least it did mine when I tried 2 nights ago). You may have mentioned this before, but why are you capturing so much black space? 640x480 is way too high for Mars (I use 220x220 on my barlowed 9.25"), that will affect your file size. I assume you are capturing the unbayered footage (not RGB) so your filesize isn't 3x the size it needs to be. No need to capture at 16 bit, all you are capturing is more noise and increasing file size. I don't understand your comment about derotating 3x1min ser files, Mars rotates so slowly you could probably capture for 10 minutes and not have a program with planetary rotation.