View Single Post
Old 27-05-2020, 07:19 AM
xthestreams (Paul)
photon disrupter

Great question, I'm doing everything I can to NOT use Windows but tools like Voyager are making it harder and harder to resits.

Personally, I've been using kstars/ekos on a Raspberry Pi 4 for direct telescope connection (sitting on the mount/OTA itself most of the time) and then the Mac client for setting up and managing the schedule and session and it's reasonably stable, a few drop outs here and there that mainly had to do with my laptop going into sleep mode when left unattended which terminates the schedule (I would have hoped/imagined that the schedule would be downloaded to the client to run autonomously but that's not the case.

Otherwise the main issue I have is what FITS file naming and management, but that's more of a personal preference thing, I'd like more file naming options but the guys over at indilib.org are super responsive and keen to improve and there's discussion going on now as to how to improve.

If you're a fan of Macs/Linux, open source and a growing library of highly scriptable automation, highly recommended. BUT you'll need to be okay with the odd bug/crash - I certainly wouldn't be comfortable knowing it was the control system for an Airbus 380.

p.s. yes, I know, why am I using a laptop?! - simple reason, I can check on my runs as I get into bed and REALLY annoy my partner with my 24 hours a day :-)